Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 2009 22:18:05 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: S & S Exhaust System (2.1)

I bought one of the S&S units from Vanagain a year ago, the issues I had were as follows: - mechanically a pain to install, required a lot tricky adjustments to get it to fit. - have some extra gaskets in case you have some slighly larger spacing between flanges. - I just removed mine as I had the engine rebuilt, so to prevent it rusting fast like mine did when I first installed it from the factory I ground all the rust off, treated the metal, then primed, painted and clear coated with vht high temp exhaust paint rated for 2,000 degrees. Then baked it in the BBQ 3x at varying temps. Came out great. Nice hard, chemical resistant surface. Took me 1 full day to paint. 5 days to prep. - per Ken at Vanagain he suggested using the exhaust goop when mating the parts for the tightest fit. - it's definately louder than stock but sounds beefier. - the only physical defect issue I have had is with the exhaust mounting bracket on the exhaust as it cracked off 2x and I had send one unit back as the systems internal componenents were ratling. I got a replacement unit and the mounting bolts that connect to the frame of the van both sheered off from vibration.

Overall for an inexpensive exhaust its a good buy.