Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 2009 01:22:43 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: broken gas pedal
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>

Joy, _______________________ / | o | <front / Hinge > | | back of van > \ | | \_________________ | _o_ |

The pedal should have a flexible area which acts as a hinge. The shorter peice should be attached to the floor with two rivets. You can kinda pry the carpet out of the way without damaging it. If the end of the pedal toward the back of Matilda has two smallish holes (a bit smaller than 1/4 inch), then you simply need to reattach the pedal to the floor, a piece of cake if you have ten foot arms or a friend who's willing to get under the van for you. You'll need to drop the spare tire, move it out of the way, and lay your red head on the spare tire carrier. The accelerator linkage is contained in a small (ca. 1"x1"x5") white box. If the pedal is still attached to the linkage you do not need to drop this box. The pedal attachment holes are a couple inches behind this box.

I went to Home Depot and got 12-24 x 1" (I think 1/2" would work) screws and appropriate washers, and nuts, fed them through the pedal and floor, and ran the nuts up on the screws from beneath. Steph held the screwdriver from above while I tightened the nuts from below. Only took a half-hour or so. Still fresh in my mind since we did this last weekend!

If the pedal is torn at the rubber hinge, you'll need to replace it. As a temporary get-you-home measure, I would probably try to find a piece of leather and use contact cement to glue across the broken hinge (probably last a few weeks). My guess is that you just lost the rivets. If you need help, send me a ticket and I'll be right there.

Love,

Karl