Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 2009 07:09:32 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom Oil/Tranny Coolers for automatic vanagon
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

Hi Robert

I did a tranny oil cooler using parts from these guys:

http://www.batinc.net/mocal-central.htm

They are an excellent source (Pegasus Racing is good, also..you have them already, I see) for all kinds of automotive plumbing parts. They also have (click around on their site) some German car- specific oil system adaptors that replace drain plugs, etc for german engine and trans. oil systems. Metric>AN...

The one I did (for the trans of my racecar) might give you some ideas. I used a Mocal cooler unit (about 12" x 8" I don't recall the number of oil galleries) withAN #10 fittings and braided SS oil lines. Using AN fittings, you can assemble your own lines for oil systems. A vanagon tranny could probably use smaller lines. I used a Tilton oil pump to move the oil through the cooler. I controlled the pump with a manual switch and a relay so I could circulate the transaxle oil at will. For a steet vehicle I'd use a tempostat switch and relay to automatically activate the oil cooler pump once the transmission gets up to proper operating temperature. You could probably use a standard VW radiator fan switch for that, or get one at whatever temp you decide. I put an oil temperature gauge into my system, reading temperature at the point where the transmission oil came out of the tranny on the way into the cooler system. I put the oil temp gauge pickup into an AN "T" fitting right in the line out to the cooler. Keep in mind when designing the system: "Do no harm" Design your system so that if it breaks somehow, you will be back to a 'cooler-less state' rather than spewing out all your transmission fluid and blowing it up. I mounted mine (the whole system) above the level of the transaxle. In case of a failure, it was to become a dead-end loop that let no fluid escape from the transaxle. I mounted the cooler 'radiator' above the circulating pump. I also (not sure if this was needed, but...) used a check valve (from BAT) in the line going into the pump. BAT has available metric to AN fitting/adaptors to fit German car oil drain fittings..What I did, to avoid having to deal with tapping into the transmission, was to take my "outflow" (out to the cooler system) from the tranny drain plug and I returned the cooled oil at the transmission filler plug (which on my racecar also just happened to be right above the spider gear) So, the hot trans fluid comes out of the tranny at the drain plug, goes past the 'Trans. Oil Temp' gauge pickup and encounters the check valve. Then past that to the pump and into the 'radiator'. Out of the radiator and back into the tranny at the filler plug hole..Using the metric>AN adapters or you can tap right through the drain/filler plugs and use different fittings. If you control the cooler circulation with a tempostat switch, another "T fitting" at the drain plug area(the "low point" in the loop, would be a good place for that. I don't know the 'layout' of the filler and drains on a Vanagon auto tranny, but you'd want to keep the lines as short as possible while being able to locate the oil rad. somewhere where it was out of harm's way. Up in the corner inlets above the tail lights...Maybe in that 'attractive space' on the left rear corner of the engine compartment..The cooler needs good cool air flow somehow. On my racecar I ended up using a small Spal fan to further cool the tranny oil..Before my system was installed, I routinely saw temps >300f in the trans. With the system in operation, they ran around 180f.. That is some more ideas for you. You should probably isolate the oil cooler heat exchanger from vibration by rubber mounting it somehow. You can also use the cooler pump system to change your tranny fluid..if you take that into consideration as you lay it out. Good for the gears...

Don Hanson