Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 2009 10:56:49 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: H4 European Headlight report

Not if you isolate the circuit. When I upgraded my lights, I ran a dedicated wire from the battery to the area behind the grille. I mounted two 40amp relays for the headlights that were actuated by the original wiring for the headlights. That way the original wiring had no exposure to the load from the headlights and was isolated from any strain.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com> wrote: > I would recommend NOT upgrading to higher wattage bulbs. Even with > "standard" upgrades to the wiring (putting in relays and such) you are > going to be putting the rest of your wiring at risk. And it may turn > out to be something extremely expensive and horrible to replace (such > as the fuse/relay panel.)  I've already had to do that one, and it's > not fun. > > The E code headlights provide plenty of good light on the road > surface. Yes, they have a very sharp cutoff, which limits distance > visibility, but that is what the high beams will cover. In urban > settings, the local ambient light will usually grant you that distance > visibility, so you won't need the high beams. > > It is very important when switching to E code spec lights that you get > the headlights aimed correctly so as to give you the maximum amount of > light without blinding your competitors, er, I mean other motorists. > > On May 12, 2009, at 6:53 PM, Ken Wilford wrote: > >> So a few months ago I posted that I had a set of H4 lights I was >> trying >> to sell for the later model Vanagons (square) to Canada.  No one up >> there bit so I got the lights sent to Dave Arthur in Canada and then >> he >> turned around and sent them to me (thanks again Dave).  My original >> thought was to sell them to someone here in the US.  But as I waited >> for >> them to arrive I thought, "Why don't I install them on my van?"  So I >> did.  They are very nice.  Much brighter than the stock ones and even >> low beams, although not much brighter, puts more light down on the >> road.  Before we used to have a fog light kit on our old van and >> when we >> turned this on we could get good light on the road but sometimes >> people >> flashed us.  With the H4 lights you get a bunch more light on the road >> with low beams and no one is flashing you.  I am tempted to upgrade >> the >> wiring and go for the high wattage bulbs.  I think they would made an >> even better difference.  I have a hard time seeing at night so I need >> all the help I can get.  Just wanted to let you know my experience >> with >> this.  It took about 30 mins to install them since I didn't bother to >> wire up the city lights (what is the point?).  If you are interested >> in >> these for your van you will find my kit listed on my website. >> >> Just FYI, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >