Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 2009 13:14:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat Replacement?
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>

you hope it's just a thermostat. that would be very, very nice.

Your semi-'all over the place' symtoms remind me of when exhaust gases get past the head gaskets and into the coolant ....... which results in odd symptoms - like heaters not working............'mysterious' getting too hot after 30 or 40 minutes of running.

Leaks are just leaks -to fix.....external leaks. 'Usually' you start there - reparing all external coolant leaks. Theremostats on a 2.1 are pretty easy to get to ( as long as the 4 10mm hex screws come out ok - I have seen them just spin in the lower t-stat housing brass threaded inserts .........so be careful there ) ........... but the t-stat is easy to access, and easy to test.

after external leaks are repaired, and you are sure you have a good t-stat in there......and it's still acting up....... determine if it uses coolant in any way. Generally, if there are no external coolant leaks, and coolant is dissappearing ......it's going past the joke head gaskets into the combustion chambers. If it's doing that - head gasket time. Some external leaks can be very hard to find. Sometimes coolant may seep out of somewhere, but get burnt off a warm or hot surface before any drops hit the ground, making it very hard to spot that leak.

How to know when exhaust is getting into the coolant area of the engine - The most definitive test is to have the air space above the coolant sniffed by a smog snifer - there should be almost no HC in the coolant pressure/expansion bottle. If there is ..........bingo. Other indications are - you know it's not the thermostat or water pump because you have checked those carefully, or replaced them. You're pretty sure the radiator is able to remove heat under not-extreme condtions. You have bled the cooling system to the radiator. Yet.......it still acts like the main pipes are blocked - the radiator is stone cold, but the engine if overheating badly ........ and you're sure it's not an externeal leak, or a t-stat, or water pump failing to circuitlate coolant - then it's most likely this exhaust getting into the coolant thing. another indication - you've bled it, you know you have a decent t-stat, radiator, and w. pump ......and alll is fine and, sometimes intermittantly, or randomly ........it will just 'not work right' after about 40 minutes of driving. If you stop and bleed , it's OK again for a while....... until the next time it 'unbleeds' itself. Head gasket time !

in subaru engines - same thing. In a case or two, they had done everything in the world to the engine and van regarding the cooling system. Finally, with nothing else to try, and no real indication that they should replace the head gaskets, they did anyway, and that fixed it.

and I almost see this 'exhaust' type of head gasket failure more than the other mopre normal modes of head gasket failure. And I never saw any engine ever, ever do that ( the exhasut into the coolant thing ) ..........until the 90's on a turbo diesel vanagon. Since then, I've seen it on waterboxers, subaru's ..........diesel VW engines in vanagons ........many times. Like 30 cases of this in the last 5 years even. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Todd" <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:55 AM Subject: Thermostat Replacement?