Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 2009 19:49:38 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat Replacement?
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>

Overheating combined with no heat means there is little or no water flow. This is most likely due to being low on coolant or the cooling system is air bound. This is further confirmed by increase RPM keeping the gauge reading low. You need to check the cooling system level at the main pressure tank. It should be filled almost solid. Check it with the engine running as the pump will suck the level down if the system is air bound. Do note that even with the gauge reading OK if the system is not working properly you are doing engine damage. The thermostat does not stop flow to the heater. The heater will always have flow available unless something is drastically wrong.

Dennis

My apologies for not paying attention to previous threads on this subject. I do archive a number of interesting and helpful emails however I am also prone to laziness and after checking my selection of archived material I didn't find a conclusion to my question. I know there has been some recent discussion and I'm sure overall this has become a tiresome topic for the Vanagon Vets.

Here are the symptoms:

Firstly I have 1986 Westy Syncro - 2.1 digifant. The other day I noticed a stain / puddle of coolant under the motor area - roughly one foot diameter. It seemed the drip was dripping down from the engine carrier and also trickling down from the oil pressure relief valve. My first thought was the water pump finally had packed it in. I checked the coolant fill tank but it didn't appear there was much of a loss of coolant - if any.

I jumped in my van and went for a drive as I had a meeting to get to. When I began my drive the motor was cool but I noticed it heated up very quickly when driving - much quicker than typical (City driving). No heat from the heater - cold cold air from the front heater but regualr heat from the rear heater. When the temperature guage worked its way fully past the LED - the low speed fan motor did not operate as it normally would. I was able to keep the van from overheating by driving at about 3000 rpm when the guage began to climb. Funny enough the front heater would then work intermittently - heat and then cold air. When the heat came on it appeared the temp guage would begin to drop.

Last night I checked the engine compartment and there was no sign of any leak - both caps to the expansion and fill resevoir were tight, hoses looked good and the bottom of the water pump was dry - I don't think any coolant is coming from the weep hole. I checked the water pump by removing the belt and it spun smoothly without significant problem or sound. I ran the motor and again - no sign of leaking or anything from anywhere.

This morning I awoke to no signs of any leak under my van - everything was dry. My first thought is that I need to replace the thermostat - but the puddle of coolant under my van yesterday has me wondering...where did it come from and why is it not consistently dripping? Is there a link somewhere between the thermostat and the coolant leak?

So before I purchase the thermostat I thought I'd turn to the group for some advice.

Thanks,

Bruce Todd 86 Syncro Westy