Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 2009 18:29:45 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Digifant 21. MV High Fuel Consumption
Comments: To: Dave Arthur <dave.arthur@NSCC.CA>

Is this an automatic or 4 speed? The mileage is fairly typical. If the O2 sensor is working it has the final say over the air flow meter. If you smell hydrocarbons, (why you think it is running rich) then you need to look for ignition or lean miss fires and check the compression, leak down test to check the valves. You may also need to check the catalytic converter for clogging.

Dennis

I need some opinions... I have just returned from my first 'real' trip with our Westy. I was a little shocked at the fuel consumption and yes there are no leaks :-)

For 183 km I burned 24.5 litres 13.3 litres/100km. And for my American friends ... 17.3 mi/gal (US). I was driving on reasonably flat terrain with a maximum speed of 65 mph (105km).

The engine seems to run well, I have the o2 connected, it's new. From my days of tuning MG's I'd say she is running rich, but the engine ECU is going closed loop (I checked the o2 voltage with a high Z DVM, it swings up and down) and I'm not entirely sure where I should look for the problem.

The engine idles reasonably well, goes on high idle when started cold and drops to a steady 750 when warm. No stalling problems.

My only thought is the Mass Air Flow sensor may be out and or the air temperature sender in the MAF.

The pressure regulator seems to work, pressure goes up and down in sync with the manifold vacuum. I do have a bad check valve in my fuel pump, but can't see how this would effect the mixture.

No maybe, this is normal fuel consumption, in which case I'll mortgage the house :-)

Dave

'86 Westy