Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 2009 22:18:13 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Digifant 21. MV High Fuel Consumption

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Dave Arthur <dave.arthur@NSCC.CA> wrote:

> > For 183 km I burned 24.5 litres 13.3 litres/100km. And for > my American > friends ... 17.3 mi/gal (US). I was driving on reasonably > flat terrain with > a maximum speed of 65 mph (105km). >

I drove my 83.5 Westy to Yosemite for a one night camping last Saturday and returned yesterday. Temperature in California Central Valley was reported over 100 degree F. It was a hot trip.

Here is what I got for the gas mileage for my 1.9 WBX rebuilt about 6000 miles ago.

I had a full tank to begin the trip in San Jose California. 166 miles later I reached Mariposa California near the foothills of Sierra mountains. I filled up the gas tank. It registered 7.435 gallon. This is 22.33 miles ger gallon for the first section of the trip.

I drove around the Yosemite Valley for a while taking pictures from place to place. Camped at night. I drove into the Tioga Pass the next day. I could only go as far as 19 miles then the road was closed. I stopped at a look out area and spent a few hours taking pictures. Then I headed back home through HWY 140, the same route that I came from. I stopped at Merced to buy gas. I filled it up with 8.886 gallon of gas. The odometer increased 211 miles to a total of 377 miles. This is 23.75 miles per gallon. The average of both sections of the trip was 23.10 miles per gallon. I have not filled up the gas tank after returning home yesterday. SO I do not have the gas mileage number for the 3rd section of the trip. It will probably lower because of higher hwy speed and driving against head wind on the way back.

Well, this is of course a 1.9 WBX. The number appeared to be similar to the numbers for my past trips to Yosemite. I have no AC, no power steering. It's a manual, not automatic, with standard tires.

David