Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 2009 14:59:22 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Anyone have a 3rd Party External Oil Cooler or Transmission
              Cooler installed?

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased the Bus Boys Oil Cooler kit and the Small Car Performance Tranny Cooler System for my 2.1L Automatic Wolfsburg. The

engine was just rebuilt and is going back in the van at the end of the

week once these parts come in. I also ordered the GoWesty Coolant Pipe

Fix system and am replacing all coolant hoses, heater hoses and fuel lines before I make a cross country trip this summer.

I was wondering if there are any issues to be concerned with regarding

these Coolers?

Small car tells me to mount the Tranny Cooler on drivers side of the tranny in front of the rear wheel. I asked about possibly angling the

unit with a pitched 15 degree front downward angle and they said you could but it was not necessary as they have been installing these units in their Vanagons and Subie/Vanagon upgrades for years with no cooling issues in that position. Anyone have another placement option? I am told if I located it there since it's a short distance it

will only need a 1 Quart of additional ATF.

When I spoke to Bus Boys they said to mount it either under the van next to the Tranny cooler or in the engine bay. I could place the Oil

cooler on the left side of the engine as there is a space to the left

of the Coolant Container, but I am not sure it would get enough air flow. My thought was to place it under the van. Thoughts anyone? (Yes

I have read the threads on the Samba by TenCent life and his system, but I don't want to cut into any parts of the van.)*

Regards, Robert NY --------------------------------------------------

Here are the details of what I purchased if anyone is interested:

Transmission Cooler http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=83

Product Information

NEW - Includes mounting hardware.

Automatic Vanagons have a factory installed transmission cooler that uses engine coolant and the radiator to cool the fluid. This adds the

transmission cooling load to the engine cooling system (this is less than ideal) and the results of a failure of this cooler are disastrous

for both the transmission and the cooling system.

Our cooler kit keeps the two systems separate and does a better job of

keeping the transmission fluid cool in very hot weather. Additionally,

a failure in the system results in only a fluid leak that is easily repaired.

Recommended for all automatic Vanagons including those with the higher

horsepower Subaru engines.

Our kit includes all the neccessary hardware and does not require any

drilling or tapping of the transmission, It can be installed without removal of the transmission. The two 5/8" hoses to the original cooler

can be bypassed with this mender or can be rerouted to bypass the area

entirely.

The recommended mounting position is between the frame rails on the driver's side just in front of the transmission.

Price: $159.00

Oil

http://www.bus-boys.com/oilcoolingremote.html

Part # 11705 $132

Part # 11780 $79.35

Oil Coolers and Accessories Type 2 & Vanagon

Race-Trim™ Oil Cooler Systems

The ultimate in cooling efficiency, Race-Trim™ stacked-plate design

offers maximum cooling with almost bullet-proof strength. Aircraft quality aluminum, fluxless oven brazed construction. Cross-path airflow effectively cools oil as air passes through as many as 16 paths across sturdy embossed plates. Insignificant pressure drop, twice the cooling in half the size. Painted black for fast heat dissipation. Fitted with 1/2 inch female pipe thread fittings. The best system for your Bus or Vanagon.

Key Part No. Description/Application/Price

Part Numbers in Italics - Call For Availability

Coolers & Cooler Kits

ZAP-11705 Oil Cooler Kit Complete, 72 Plate with "Sandwich" Oil Filter Adaptor $132.00

NOTE: ZAP-11705 is recommended only for Vanagon Wasserboxers from 1983 to 1985. Will not fit 1986 to 1991 models due to OEM oil cooler

design on filter mounting. Recommend using ZAP-11701 above for these

applications.

Separate Oil Cooler System Parts

ZAP-11780 Oil Thermostat. Opens at 175º F. Bypasses Oil Cooler Below 175º for Quick Warm-Up. Includes Fittings and Clamps. $79.35

NOTE: This thermostat must be installed between the oil filter and cooler for proper operation. Strongly recommended for proper engine warm-up in cool weather operation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Cooler hoses/systems must be installed in this order. Engine to oil filter to thermostat (if used) to cooler and then back to the engine. Hot oil must be filtered first before it is

cooled for best flow.

Order Toll Free (800)792-2697 | Information (530)244-1616 | 24 Hour

Fax (530)244-0933

This is the product you are getting:

model is 9217 for vanagon dimensions are 11 X 8 X 1.5