Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 2009 18:39:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice needed for replacing front and rear header pipes and
              hardware
Comments: To: Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>

'normally' one wouldn't remove an entire engine just to replace the exhaust system on a waterboxer engine. - perhaps lower the rear of the engine ( just 4 bolts ) to help access bolts on the cat and muffler .....but otherwise, just leave it the engine in. and it helps to get some stuff out of the way. Also expect that it will be harder the first time you do it. After a while.... you learn the tricks, or accumulate special tools, or whatever .......it's mostly all pretty easy to access on a vanagon.

mainly, I wanted to say I like seeing the other posts that a person is replying to. Being on numerous lists, and not being able to track a huge number of separate conversions, it doesn't do me any good to see someone's reply, and not what they are replying to. So thanks for leaving that stuff on your reply !

I'd say you do the exhaust in the van, unless there is some special reason where you need better access........like extreme rust and you want to heat things with a torch to help things unscrew instead of break off, ..........or if a stud breaks off and you need to do serious 'dental work' on the engine - drilling and taping threads, etc. It's infinitely easier to do exhaust-related things like that on just the engine, out of the van.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Hartman" <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:21 PM Subject: Re: Advice needed for replacing front and rear header pipes and hardware