Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 May 2009 20:06:23 -0700
From:         Aaron Robinson <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Electrical help please!

Hello all, I am trying to figure out what is going on with the elelctrical on my 85 westy. These could be completely unrelated issues, but here goes a short story followed by too many details.

It all started a little while ago with a great spring ski trip to the BC Okanagon. Great times were had, and for the ultimate budget trip, we camped in the westy at each of the resorts. I think we paid $6 at one resort. The rest were free for overnighters as was the skiing (warren miller specials). The Platinum Cat kept the van toasty and dry and all was cozy and good. Then, on the ride home the windshield wipers stopped working. Since we were driving through typical NW springtime weather (RAIN) and we were trying to get home, I found power in the steering column wired it through the rear defrost switch and used that to turn the windshield wipers on/off. It worked well enough to keep us going. Once I got home, I undid what I had done, repaired wires where I removed wire insulation, and thought about replacing the ignition switch, which through some some research looked like the most likely culprit for non-working wipers and front fan.

Getting to the switch replacement finally happened but didn't fix my windshield wipers. I don't know where to start for troubleshooting. That's problem #1

In the mean time, problem #2 has started. Here's where I'm not sure if the problems are related, but I recently I started blowing fuses on fuse#8 (from the left, #5 from the right). Unfortunately I'm an electrical imbecile. In the bentley, #97.10 shows my fuse panel, but I can't for the life of me even figure that out. It doesn't label the fuses. I know it's wired to all of my interior lights (cause they go off when the fuse blows) and ???. Anyway, it blows the fuse immediately.

With a multimeter; - I see 12V to the bottom fuse contact. - Continuity to ground on the top fuse contact.

On the back of fuse#8, there are 2 spade connectors. If I remove the top connector, it has continuity to ground. The bottom spade connector does not have continuity. Once the top spade is removed, there ceases to be continuity to the top fuse connector (I hope that makes sense).

The spade that shows continuity is split a few ways. One wire looks as if it goes up into the top corner of the dash area...perhaps going up the drivers pillar? The other one is wrapped into the bundle heading across the dash. I need to pull it all apart to know more. It also splits one more time, which I also need to follow as well.

So here are my questions: 1) Any tips on troubleshooting the wipers? 2) Any tips on troubleshooting the fuse issue? 3) Anyone know what is supposed to be on that fuse? 4) Should I just take this to someone who has a clue?

I'm sometimes handy, but dislike electrical stuff. Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone can point me to something obvious in the bentley.

Thanks! Aaron '85 Westy