Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 2009 10:50:03 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      brake shoe installation help (long)

1989 Westy...

Let me first say the last time I installed brake shoes was over 20 years ago. So, you're talking to a real novice here. Like most things I do on the Vanagon, before I start I read, read, and read some more. I even had several manuals at my side, with Ken's (van-again) print out from his newsletter that I followed step-by-step. Got everything apart just fine, I'm good at taking things apart! Laid out all my parts next to the old, compared old springs with new springs, well... I was about as anal as one can get doing this.

The first deviation from the instructions, was with the upper blue springs, the ones that make you cuss a lot trying to get back on. There was mention of the hooks at the end of the spring pointing upwards, where they attach to the backing plate. Well, the original had one pointing up and one pointing down. I could see no way to make both of those hooks at the end of the spring point up, but it seemed to go together just fine despite that.

Second, someone should mention in their instructions not to push too much on one side of the cylinder or else you will push the piston out sending brake fluid all over your brand-new shoes (ask me how I know). Hopefully brake cleaner will work well enough, otherwise Bus Depot will be seeing another order. Told you I was a novice.

The adjuster: I took the adjuster apart, sprayed some WD-40 on it, worked the adjuster the full length of the thread a few times and it was spinning like new. I'm good at making things spin too! On one side of the adjuster rod there is an "F" shape end, with one longer leg and one shorter. I put the longer leg towards the backing plate. My set of instructions indicated this, and if it is put the other way it seems to push the emergency brake lever too far out of the way without contacting the shoe braket behind it. Hopefully this is correct.

On the other side of the adjuster, the end is square, although one of those sides, as viewed from the center notch has a taper or chamfer on it. That little notched area seems to want to to face away from the backing plate or it interferes with the self adjuster gizmo.

Okay, here's the problem. The star wheel no longer lines up with the hole in the backing plate. I have to angle my adjusting tool at nearly a 45° angle and just barely catch the edges of the star wheel. It does rotate freely, at least before I get the actual drum on, then I can't seem to make it turn at all. It loosens up without a problem, but I don't seem to be able to spread the shoes. Yes, there is plenty of adjusting space left. Yes, the emergency brake is off. Once again, without the drum on, I can move the star adjuster just fine with a screwdriver, but mostly because of the angle I can't adjust the thing with the drum on. I do not see any way to move the star wheel more towards the opening in the backing plate. I have adjusted the brakes in the past, and although it's a little awkward to get to that star wheel I was able to move it. I remember being able to hear an audible "click".

The only modification I have made to these shoes is to put 3, 1 mm washers at the bottom pivot points so that the center of the shoe contacts the drum more completely. Dennis Haynes suggested this, and it seems to work okay. If anything, this should move the star wheel closer to the opening.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong? Sorry for the long-winded story.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have. I can take some pics later if that would help.

Troy