Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 May 2009 16:27:54 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom VDO/Sunpro or other brand Guages for Oil Temp,
              Water Temp, Volt Meter

Check out these Gauge set ups: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193593&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

*Great idea to get them from a Jetta or Golf as there is pick and pull place near me. But to to just save energy I might order them from Busdepot or get them locally.

Now, I am no mechanic so I need to figure out exactly what to order so the real mechanic can install them properly. One Question I assume this is easier to do when the engine is not in the Van? or does it make a difference?

From what you wrote Max, I gather it is as follows:?

1 Voltmeter (with toggle switch) 2 Wiring Relays for the batteries to send the Volt info to the Gauge.

1 Temp Gauge (with toggle switch) 2 Wiring Relays for the Water and Oil to send the Temp info to the Gauge.

1 Oil Pressure Gauge (with toggle switch) 2 Wiring Relays for the Oil and Fuel to send the Pressure info to the Gauge.

Now my other question: What size do I need if I want to mount it in the dash of the automatic behind the shifter and under the stereo or if I want them to go to the right of the stereo?

Is there a special type of toggle that might be needed?

What is the most important things to be watching on the van? Oil temp, Water temp, Oil Pressure?

Just not sure why I would need to know the pressure of the oil or fuel? If it's is low and I can see that what would I do to prevent it? Change the oil viscosity or filter? Wouldn't the buzzer on the standard sensor alert me to the same issue?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but when it comes to this I have no idea what is going on. Trying learn.

Thanks, Robert NY