Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 2009 08:49:23 -0700
Subject:      Does anyone have an interest in better lights for their Vanagon?
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

I recently upgraded my BMW GS motorcycle to DE projector lights - basically the same technology to what is found on newer VWs and the like.  The main advantage to these lights is much better focusing and the ability to install a fleabay HID kit and not blind on coming drivers as it is the same technology as what is used in HID equipped vehicles.  End result is that I really like these lights over the old fashioned reflector technology lights that were on my bike and is used on our Vanagons.

With more and more news that our T3 parts are getting NLAed - light adjuster plastic bits for example - sourcing out a new and better light with parts that are in current production makes sence to me.

What I am going to do with my Syncro Westfalia this summer is install Hella DE lights - these are both e-code and SAE compliant and replacements are availble from places like rallylights.com - the issue is building the brackets for them and making the installation look like it is supposed to be there.

As many people like the double round look of the South African lights I think this is quite achievable with DE lights and we can still maintain our heigher quality square light grilles.  My idea is to use 90mm low beams and 60mm high beam lights.  Use the machine shop down the way from me to CNC the brackets that would hold on to these lights and use a anodized black plates that will fill the opening in our square light grilles and have a pair of neat round holes for the DE lights to function.  Perhaps build in some mounting points for some mesh headlight protectors and we would have a good looking a functional set of lights that we can get parts for should a rouge rock take one of these lights out.

I have no idea what the custom bits will cost - but I do know that the setup for something like this is what costs the money.  The more sets that get made up the cheaper they will become.  What I am looking for from the community is how many people are interested and to what level.  The lights are about $100 a piece.  Can't see the custom parts costing any more than $300, would guess closer to $200

1 - Couldn't care less, like what I have now. 2 - Interested but not 100% sure I would get some in the next year. 3 - Interested and would be fairly sure I would buy when they become available.

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider http://www.hasenwerk.ca