Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 May 2009 19:19:47 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear eveloptor housing

--snip-- no one ever heard of sticking a 2 X 4 cut to the right length under something, to use it as a support to temporarily make something stay up there while you start the fasteners ? --snip--

I dunno about anybody else but when I first looked at the housing and saw the cracks in it, how it was made etc. I got the idea that it was just a cover and the (relatively) heavy stuff inside was mounted to the upper frame/roof of the van. Assumptions being what they are, I was therefore unpleasantly surprised when the whole damn thing started to come down with the housing as I took it off. I was also working alone as usual, so... you know the rest. I'd like to think that I'm not the only one to make that mistake, but I suppose it's possible. : /

So here's a story just for you, Scott. I was checking my starter/isolating a starting problem so I broke out my remote starter switch, knowing how proud that would make you and all. It didn't work. Checked it with the meter, no joy. Damn piece of junk... only used it maybe fifteen times. It isn't made to come apart- I'll have to remember to look for that the next time I buy something like that. I got irritated and decided to spray 'something' down into the trigger area and so I grabbed a can of carb cleaner. Just about the time I was spraying it around my dim brain piped up and said 'acetone... plastic... hello?' (I blame the medications). So I left some fingerprints on the case, big deal. I was of course wondering what all that did to the inside of the thing but when I checked it again with the meter- voila! Continuity! Hooked it back up and fired the engine right off. Sometimes, (rarely) it pays to get irked and do something stupid. : )

Cya, Robert