Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 2009 09:56:05 -0400
From:         Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>
Subject:      Torn between two Carats

I went to look at 1990 Vanagon Carat someone is selling for parts or to restore. Mainly it has engine trouble. The owner says that after about 10 minutes you get the low oil pressure alarm and it looses power (won't accelerate). It has other minor issues and a pretty decent body. They want $500.

Here's the thing. While looking at it (at a local VW repair shop) I spotted 1988 Carat! It was in pretty much the same condition. The shop owner is selling this one. He said the engine knocks. He bought it from the original owner and has an extra engine. Unfortunately he doesn't have time to work on it and wants about $500. This one is a Wolfsburg edition.

Both are burgundy. Both have a full set of Carat Wheels with caps. Both bodies are decent although the '88 has some minor seam rust. The '90 has an rough rear bumper and needs a rear window. Both are automatic (lie my parts van).

I have my '86 GL and an '87 GL for parts.

I like the '90 just a little better but wonder if I should consider the '88 since I have an '87 parts van.

Heck I'd like to buy both but my wife will likely kill me for showing up with just one of them.

Is there an advantage to buying the '90 over the '88 in terms parts availability or ease of repair?

Is one more valuable than the other?

Thanks for any input.

Mark K 1986 GL/2WD/4SPD