Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 2009 21:01:28 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Refurbishing crummy visors part II

I'm talking early style visors here, most of which are sagging bags of crumbled foam.

A while back, I wrote up a refurb experiment where I took some thin craft foam and some cardboard and cut open the visor and built it some new guts and glued it back together carefully with upholstery cement.

My brother, who lives in Austin and posts on the diesel list, came up with a great idea: poke a hole in a visor and fill it full of expanding home insulation foam, and use two boards to control the flatness. I wish it had been my idea, it worked so well, but I will share my technique. The results were excellent.

Remove the visor. Put a piece of clear packing tape down the "back" side of the visor, the part you're not looking at when the visor is installed. Cut three slits less than an inch long equally spaced down the length of the visor. You will stick the nozzle of the foam can through these holes. The idea is to fill all the compartments within, and let the excess come out while a board is on top with a heavy weight on top of that, like a box of books.

Use wax paper on both sides of the visor when it is on the table or bench.

The tape over the visor protects the surface of the visor from the sticky foam when it expands and comes out the slits. Pick away the foam in a hour or so, then peel off the tape. You can scrape off what little residual foam there is and or wash/scrub away with mineral spirits before the foam sets up too hard. the slits you cut will seal themselves, you'll not be able to find them when you are done.

The result is a uniform, strong visor more like the later ones. The whole project is less than ten minutes of work and four dollars in expense. One can will easily do two visors. If you don't get all the empty pockets the first time, cut another hole and try again.

Jim