Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 May 2009 23:34:26 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge blows out while driving....
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>

Well guys I may have solved all my problems as my fridge has stayed lit during my last few around town trips both with the window up and the window down. My fingers are still crossed though.

Here's what i've learned: The simplest test to see if your pipes are out of whack and you're going to be having issues, is to wiggle the plate that is sandwiched inside the flu assembly between the exhaust and the flu "cover". Does it move much? It shouldn't! (Mine did). I figured this out by wiggling some other westies and finding various degrees of play, all WAY less than what mine had (mine move 1/4'') It turned out that by reworking the position of the pipes so as to have no pre-loaded tension on them and thus line them up more strait, the plate was able to snug down better and the fridge worked better as a result.

Remember to clean your combustion chamber by blowing air down both tubes from the outside, and up the drain tube from the inside. Now tripple check that that drain tube is on, and on tightly! If it leaks here, you will have plenty of problems.

Plenty of good gasket compound (i'm using Permetex Ultracopper) between the gasket and the body, the gasket and the plate, and all around the combustion chamber make for less chance of air leakage.

When you have everything apart, LUBRICATE THE SHAFT OF THE AIR PUMP. Just a little finger full of grease on there..... you will ask yourself why you didn't do it long ago! It makes for much easier lighting of the fridge! (Well, smoother).

Since so far i don't have a difinitive answer as to the condition of my fridge, I can't say for sure that everything has worked out, however these are jsut a few things i've picked up along the way.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back.