Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 May 2009 10:27:26 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: experience with GoWesty wheels
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

I agree with Ron, I would never put a car rated tire on a Westy Vanagon. You might be able to get away with it on a passenger Van but not on a Westy. I always run at least load range C tires on my Carat Vanagon. To sell and recommend tires that are not properly rated for the Van is just asking for not only an accident but also a lawsuit. You can see how careful the Tire Rack is about matching the tires they sell with the vehicles they are meant for. This is not only to keep their customer's from having a tire related accident but also from keeping themselves from being sued for recommending an improper tire application. It has always made me scratch my head why Go Westy, a company that prides itself on knowing so much about Vanagons and Westys in particular, would recommend and sell a tire that is not properly rated for a Vanagon. People trust them because of their reputation, but this recommendation is a poor one at best.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

The Bus Depot wrote: >> I am on the verge of ordering a set of the 16 inch GoWesty >> wheels and Michelin Hydroedge tires. >> > > > > Michelin Hydroedge tires do NOT meet either Volkswagen or U.S. D.O.T. specs > for safe use on a Vanagon. Please see the archives, read > http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp , and think VERY VERY carefully before > putting ANY underrated tires on your Vanagon (regardless of what any > retailer, who of course has a profit motive because he sells underrated > tires, may claim). Those claims directly contradict VW's own engineers, as > well as the government's safety standards. > > Sure you will hear anecdotal experience from people who use various > underrated tires and "never had a problem." (Especially since they want to > justify their own decision to do so.) Similarly, 5 out of 6 people who play > Russian Roulette don't have a problem, most people who smoke don't die of > cancer, and most people who never wear a seatbelt live to tell about it. > During average daily driving your underrated tire will probably handle just > fine, because it's not being pushed to its limits. The stress test will be > when you can least afford it - during emergency evasive maneuvers when a > disproportionate amount of weight is transferred to a single tire. At that > point, if the tire fails (and VW and the D.O.T. have already warned you that > it may!!!) the consequences could easily be deadly. > > There are properly rated 16" tires out there, although I do not sell them. > (Many of my Eurovan customers use a 16" Kumho tire, although I don't carry > it and have not tried it personally. I do, however, carry 14", 15", and 16" > Vanagon alloy wheels, and 14" and 15" tires.) Why play Russian roulette, > when there are plenty of alternatives out there that meet VW specs? > > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com > (215) 234-VWVW > > _____________________________________________ > Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT > >