Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 May 2009 08:24:13 -0700
From:         RICHARD KOERNER <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: experience with GoWesty wheels

I had a blowout with my Costco Kirkland Signature 14" tires.  They were 8 years old, and had a little cupping on the fronts.  Just before the trip, I had rotated front to back; I could detect a little vibration at freeway speeds, but dismissed it, figuring they would "wear in".  Bad move; that blowout (luckily at 40 mph on a country road, but was a hot day, and it blew right when I went over an asphalt-to-concrete transition over a small bridge) really freaked me out.  I was 200 miles from home, and it was impossible to find a suitable tire at local tire shops.  I said, "No more of this nonsense!" and decided on the GoWesty 16" alloys with Michelin Hydroedge.

(By the way, the blowout was on left rear, and the separated tread folded the rear fender under, so my misery was compounded by needing to do body and paint work.)

Some comments about the GoWesty package:

1.  Arrived in 1 day.  They sure looked great!  But 3 tires were of one size, the 4th was bigger; called GoWesty, and next day UPS delivered the correct one and took the wrong one.

2.  I took a piece of string and measured the circumference of old and new.  The 16" tires were 4% bigger in circumference.  I DID notice the decreased acceleration, and less oomph going up mountain grades; I compensate by winding out a little higher, still under 4000 RPM.  The tradeoff was faster freeway speeds at the same RPM; used a GPS to confirm.  Speedometer, which was previously right on with the 14" tires, now registers 61.5 MPH when actually travelling at 65 MPH according to GPS.

3.  The sliding door interior panel barely scuffs the right rear tire; noticed that when I backed out of the garage with the slider door open.  No big deal, but those 16" tires are wider by about an inch and a half.

4.  Handling:  AWESOME!!!   No more buffeting behind a semi on the freeway, and curving down mountain roads, you feel like a sports car (well, almost!).  My passenger noticed the difference, with white knuckles!....

5.  The ride:  silky smooth.  Very quiet.  Eats up the bumps.  (Running at the GoWesty recommended 44 PSI all around).  By the way, my van is an 85 GL, not a Westy; the heavy seats have been removed, and replaced with a light wood/foam homemade camper interior.  Except for a stripped passenger Vanagon, I'd say mine is one of the lightest on the road.

6.  The LOOK:  again, awesome.  Confident stance; the tires look "meaty" and the wheels have that refined look, not gawdy or blingy.  My neighbor with a BMW 325 noticed the new look right away:  "Those wheels MAKE IT!!"

7.  The GoWesty package includes proper nuts and bolts.  I am still using the 14" steel wheel and tire as a spare, so you have to retain/carry a set of BOTH nuts and bolts in case of a flat.  Don't use the Vanagon tubular wrench to remove the nuts off the GoWesty wheels--you'll scratch them.  I invested in a deep socket.

8.  Cleaning:  the smooth painted finish of the GoWesty alloy wheels makes cleanup of brake dust a breeze; I recommend a light application of carnuba wax (maybe 2 or 3 coats) while everything is new to help make it easier to clean.  No deep pockets or crevices to trap dust and crud.

9.  Wear:  I got these one year ago, and now have put over 13,000 miles on them (cross-country drive and whatnot).  Nothing unusual.  Look new to me.  I do use Armorall (a vanity thing).

Yes, it's a big chunk of change to shell out.  But I really do smile every time I set eyes on my rig, and even moreso when behind the wheel (the best is when I see my reflection in the glass windows of a storefront, cruisin' down the boulevard....)

Rich 85 GL San Diego