Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 May 2009 21:21:47 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Costco Tires[Was: Gowesty wheels]
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

With modern radial tires, air pressure will have little effect on contact patch and tread wear unless you are really at the extremes. Buy the time you lower the pressure to change the contact patch you will be running the sidewalls so low that tire heating and damage can occur. I believe the tires you have are Kirkland equivalent of the Uniroyal Laredo, 195/75-14 load range "C". This tire does tend to either wear in the center or get the outer edges all chopped up. Since you had the tire for 5 years, you should check the date code. Most likely they are significantly older and at their end of life based on age. Improper wheel alignment, especially caster will also cause uneven wear.

Dennis