Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 May 2009 18:48:47 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Single battery setup using a marine battery

Just to update, I did buy a group 27 100Ah marine battery and managed to squeeze it into the Diesel Westy. It was the biggest I could fit and needed some modifications as below. A group 31 would be both to tall and to long. A group 24 would fit with fewer mods, but only give about 70Ah, and fewer cranking amps.

1. I had to take off the dual purpose terminals, as they are too tall. (seen on the vendor photo on link below). Instead new posts are formed using the lead stubs sticking up from the batter casing. This gives about 1/4" clearance to engine lid. I used a holesaw in my drill press with approximately the right inside diam (note holesaws are marked with outside diam). I removed the pilot bit, then drilled down and removed the extra terminals. Then a bit of sanding shaped the remaining stubs into new post terminals. Note different diam and shape of negative and positive posts.

2. I sawed off most of the plastic ridge holding the battery handle to bring length down to 12"

3. To be able to slide battery all the way into the battery tray, I had to dent the box channel running inside the rear of the engine compartment a little bit. (It curves slightly forward just above the rear light, and I had to remove 1" of this forward curve). Was easily done with a hammer.

4. Now the battery fits in the box, but that doesn't mean there is a way to get it in there. Doh! Since the fit is so tight (1/8"), it cannot be lowered diagonally into the box, but has to slide in from the side. I had to remove the alternator to do this.

5. A slightly longer negative wire was needed to reach the post.

At an 80A load (glow plugs and blower fan on high) voltage drop was .7V, about 1/2 that of my previous 50Ah starting battery.

Martin

--- On Thu, 5/7/09, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA> wrote: > My battery use during camping is > relatively light, and so far I have > used regular starting batteries. They seem to die from age > rather than > use. I get 5-7 years out of one, and have had just as good > life with > inexpensive Walmart batteries as the more expensive Optima > red top. > Using a two battery setup seems unnecessary. I would just > be replacing > two batteries instead of one every 5-7 years. > > Now I'm looking to replace my 2002 Optima red top. A 55Ah > Optima > yellow top is relatively affordable at Costco (CAD 160 when > I last looked). > However, for less than that I can pick up a marine battery > with many more > Ah at Canadian tire. Marine batteries are marketed for > the use pattern I have (Summer use, mostly starting, and > some light appliance use) > Since I have a Diesel, with the battery in the rear I can > fit a larger > battery than stock. For instance, 70Ah is $99, 90, $114 and > 103Ah at $139. > http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/MarineBatteries/N~4294966494+24.jsp > > These "Motomaster" Canadian tire batteries are made by > Excide (perhaps > at their Calgary plant). I have to check fit carefully (I > think batteries > are not returnable. Maybe I can negotiate to take one to > the parking lot > to try) > > Does anyone have experience with the longevity of Excide > marine batteries? > Have you used other marine batteries? Any significant > drawbacks compare to true deep cycle? > > Thanks, > Martin > >

__________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.