Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:33:45 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '82-2.0 teardown. help me find the knocking please
Comments: To: "B.J.R." <beer_eighty@yahoo.com>

There are all kinds of engine/tranny adaptors available. Kennedy Engineering makes an adaptor plate to mate the inline gas VW motor to the Vanagon. I'm curious why rebuilding a WBX engine again for a Vanagon *ever* seems like a good idea. They don't seem to be the best choice, expense wise. For power, fuel consumption and dependability they aren't even close to some of the other alternative power plants that are being installed into blown-up vanagons. Reading, quite widely, about WBX fuel consumption in the low teens (m.p.g.) and squirting head gaskets, stripped bolts, knocking rods and scary merging onto interstates, who would choose to pay 'extra' to start over again with all that potential?

Before I bought my 84 inline gas (92 Cabriolet 1.8 liter motor) Vanagon, I monitored the Internet forums pretty closely. I'd owned air cooled vans in the past. I wasn't looking for another vehicle to work on. I wanted a Van, but I didn't want one with all the 'baggage' that was being discussed often on almost every web forum.

Now before you WBX motor-lovers flame me for 'dissing' your motors, I'll say that I'm sure YOUR motor will last a couple of hundred thou, and I know you've "heard" of people with really high-mile Vanagons who've never touched the motor..But....what I read seems to be around 30-80k for a WBX and the way I use my van, that would be a re-build every few years...

There was little mention of the Rabbit/Golf/Jetta motor conversion on the web when I was looking to buy some kinda Vanagon. The few posts I did find 'faintly' praised the set-up. Most engine conversion discussion centers around the more Fashionable Subaru motors, and a bit less praise is lavished on the Tiico and Bostig...not much was being said about the inline VW gas transplants. So anyway, when I found one FS on Craig's list near me, I bought it. I am really happy I did that...It works well, it's more economical than a stock van and no 'time-bomb' motor to worry about. If and when my Rabbit motor ever wears out, I've seen plentiful replacements available from $300-$600 used or new hotrod crate motors (150+ HP) for less than a pair of WBX heads.

Yeah, a Rabbit motor has less 'bling' factor than a Subaru. But any VW mechanic can work on em and they out-perform the WBX motor for way less money. If I had a crapped-out Van with a standard motor, I certainly wouldn't be looking seriously at rebuilding that one, I'd be looking for alternatives..But that's only my humble opinion..

Now I will duck and put on my flame suit.. Don Hanson