Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:13:28 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '82-2.0 teardown. help me find the knocking please
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Good points all, Mark. A 'sample of one'...my own experience.. not much of a data base.

I've been lurking around the Vanagon sources for a few years now. Maybe I have been giving the false impression that I think the VW inline four conversion I have is the "One True Way". Not my intention to try to 'convert' anyone. When this subject comes up, though, posting my own experience with this particular Vanagon configuration seems like it may be useful to someone out there. I know that when I was looking, I found very little info about this type of Vanagon, and I searched diligently for information and impressions. I sometimes hear (off list posts) from others who run this combo..The general tone of these posts seems to be something like..."Hey, I have an inline gas vanagon, too...But Boy, did I have a nice weekend trip to the mountains..." or "Yeah, my Rabbit powered van works good, now let's talk about something fun..." So maybe there's not much to say about them, really. Or maybe they aren't mentioned much because they DO really suck..Maybe mine is the only 'good one' to ever . Yes, any engine conversion will likely not be simple. And "30-80k life expectancy for a WBX motor?" Pulled that outta thin air. But in the few years I've been on Vanagon list I have now 'seen' the same names come around sometimes with "Weeping headgaskets, again" on their Subject Line.. As you said, Mark..there are certain things about the WBX that are not to like..dunno, other than what I read because I never owned one..so I deserve to be flamed for 'hearsay-based' opinions.

Don Hanson