Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:48:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: manual steering rack and pinion
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

The problem I have seen on a few steering racks is that the bushing at the outer end of the steering rack....... a bushing that the long toothed linear gear thing slides in, wears out, in some cases, very badly...... like allows over an eight inch up-down play there........( a new tie rod end won't help either, in this scenario. ) . which translates to significant left-right slop in the toe adjustment for that wheel....... and I don't think that bushing is a replaceable part ........at least not at the 'parts level.' Rebuilders must have a way replace that part though. that's what I suspect our poster guy is facing here.

btw ,...............for anyone wishing to convert to power steering from manual steering ...... I have a quite good used power steering rack out of an 87 westy .... and I have the correct longer 'front shaft' to go with it as well. .......for sale. Located in southern Oregon. Scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark drillock" <mdrillock@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:22 PM Subject: Re: manual steering rack and pinion