Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:00:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yes I'm asking about Tires - no need for long debate :)
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>

good site there about tire size designations. what they don't tell you is that ...... in a metric tire size where the aspect ratio is not stated..... as in 185 R 14 C ........ is that the aspect ratio in that case is considred to be 80. like 185 R 14 C and 185/80 R 14C tires would be the same size.

I have never seen /00 as a aspect ratio written anywhere. What i have seen is either no aspect ratio.........or XXX/78 or XXX/80. When I got some 195 R 15 C tires recently.............which have a very tall aspect ratio......they told me they are "/80" as far as aspect ratio is concerned. and of course....... the lower the aspect ratio number, the lower and relatively wider the tire is. A /30 aspect ratio, for example tire is quite low , very short distance from rim to pavement. 'normal' aspect ratio on a vanagon tire would be 70, 75, 65, sometimes even 60.

this is interesting from that tire size page : " If the section width ended in zero (e.g., 7.00-14 or 7.50-14), the tire had a common aspect ratio of about 92. For section widths not ending in zero (e.g., 8.25-15), the tire was considered "low profile" with an aspect ratio of about 82."

never saw that anywhere before. an 82 aspect ratio is sure not 'low profile' these days !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike S" <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:07 PM Subject: Re: Yes I'm asking about Tires - no need for long debate :)