Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:55:22 +0000
From:         Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Towing Syncro Westy on Rental Trailer
Comments: To: poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca

Well i went through all of this and am sure it is per location, but, I went on both sites and Ryder and U-Haul said no worries n weight. I then we nto rent the trailer and truck and was rejected at both places due to the Westy being over their limit. I suspect that this was due to the fact that i was in PO'DUNK ND. > Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:51:19 -0700 > From: poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA > Subject: Re: Towing Syncro Westy on Rental Trailer > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > I can't remember exact load ratings, but do remember that Ryder insisted on a pretty large box van to tow the trailer and Vanagon (non-synchro). The Vanagon would have easily fitted into the box van had there been a way to get it up there... > > My main advice with any of moving truck trailer rental outfits (Budget, Ryder, Uhaul etc) is to carefully check all the equipment at time of rental. The trailers, trucks and accessories circulate between lots nationwide and though one would hope there is a maintenance program, not all outlets seem very concerned with the shape of the stuff they let. > > Are you also moving your belongings? Or is the towing truck/van going to be empty? A good distribution of weight on the tow vehicle also helps. The combined weight of your van and trailer is going to push and pull the rear end of the tow vehicle in various directions, so having a decent load on the tow vehicle's rear axle helps keep things stable. > > If you experience fishtailing or instability, often a small readjustment > of weight balance can help a lot. Move the van a bit forward to increase tongue weight, and rearward if tongue weight seems excessive. > > Martin > > --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG> wrote: > > > From: Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG> > > Subject: Towing Syncro Westy on Rental Trailer > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Received: Monday, June 1, 2009, 9:22 AM > > Has anyone ever towed a syncro westy > > on one of those rental car carriers? > > I'm looking at Budget Truck rental using a 16 foot truck > > and their rental car carrier (full trailer, not a dolly). > > > > Their guide gives the "ok" for using it to tow a vanagon, > > but there is no > > choice in using their on-line thing for checkion a syncro > > westy. The extra weight is the issue. The trailer specs > > state a max vehicle > > weight of 4100 lbs. I think my van beats that by 500 > > pounds or so. > > > > Too risky? > > > > I'm only moving it from coast to coast! > > > > Steve > > > > > __________________________________________________________________ > The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/