Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:50:07 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Frig - Realistic Cooling
Comments: To: Deke Rivers <dekeriv@BELLSOUTH.NET>

On my '82 Westy in North America, I pulled out the insulation behind the fridge because it was wet. This however made the fridge noticable cooler. Maybe because to the larger, unimpeded airspace behind. Maybe because it is usually warmer inside the van than outside, and the insulation therefore mostly keeps the heat in. (nice in winter, but undesirable in summer.) Probably also helps that my bus is white, so the body panels reflect much of the heat.

On my '85 Westy in Europe, I ran a north american spec 30mBar fridge on a propane system converted to European 50mBar. Makes it a little bit cooler, but not as big a difference as the insulation removal above. Not sure about longevity. Fridge has so far survived 3 years of this.

Some European market VW campers have louvered air circulation vents to the outside just behind the fridge. This might work if you don't drive dirt roads or anyplace dusty, and occasionally clean out behind the fridge.

Martin

--- On Thu, 6/4/09, Deke Rivers <dekeriv@BELLSOUTH.NET> wrote: > I have an '86 Westy with the original > Dometic Frig. It is cooling on either > gas or 110AC - with maybe a slight advantage on the > AC. But it is just > border-line on keeping the interior below 40 degf. > What should it be able > to do? Can it get below 40 degf if its 80 degf > outside? How about 90 degf? > > > > Deke >

__________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.