Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2009 07:08:32 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shifter adjustments.
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

Craig, don't do it you will hate yourself in the morning :-) The linkage never gets adjusted by turning the shaft. You could loosen the clamp at this point and move the shaft further onto or off of the splines (a little in or out) but that would be the most I would do here (I would only mess with that as a last resort). Where you really want to do your adjustment is in the front at the base of the shifter itself. If you want to loosen the two bolts that hold the shift plate to the floor just mark things before you do. That way you can put it back in the same spot if you don't get any love here. What I am thinking is happening is that you probably have some worn out shift linkage components. I have found that most of the time, instead of adjusting shift linkage which I never do unless I am installing new components, if you replace the linkage parts at the side of the transmission (shifter rod ball and cup and boot) that usually tightens things up rather nicely. I sell this as a kit called shifterkit2 for $128. I makes a big difference in the way the van shifts. Most of the time it will shift almost like new (that depends on the transmission) after installing this kit. People don't realize how worn out these components get until they replace them.

Glad to hear you made it out west on your trip. Let me know if I can be of service to you in this area.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

craig cowan wrote: > Hey guys. > It's looking like I need to make a few adjustments to my shifter. I've never > done this before, and it scares me silly as i've heard terrible stories of > people never being able to get it right again! > > I feel like 1st gear is on the right most edge of its gate, and the same > with all the others. So, my thought is that i need to loosen the splined > shaft and move it a tooth or too accordingly. Is there a proceedure I should > go through first? I looked at the Bently and tried the thing at the shifter > base itsself, but that made no difference. > > It sometimes won't go fully into gear, particularly 1st. It will then > reluctantly POP in after some force is applied. > > Any thoughts would be appreciated! > for > -Craig > '85glt turned westy > bostig in the back > >