Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:01:32 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rich running condition-still searching for problem

David,

Did you check for leaks in the AFM rubber boot? Cracks in the boot are a little hard to find . . . Mine was actually loose at the AFM and this took care of a lot of my problem. My van has been running more smoothly than any time since I had the new engine put in, after getting the valve lash set properly. This might not apply in your situation as my engine is one of Boston Bob's big valve engines and the lash is different than normal specs. However, the valves were set incorrectly for either engine . . .

Marc

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM, David Clarkson<Dvdclarksn@aol.com> wrote: > I am still trying to track down the rich running condition on my 90 > Westfalia. I thought that the problem may have been related to the ground path > and have cleaned up the two ground points under the coil and have moved > another  ground connection from the coolant tower previously to a better contact > point. I  also replaced a connection for the green wire that attaches to the > positive side  of the coil. No change. I also put together the test wiring > harness discussed in  a previous thread from the article on the Samba. No > changes with the problem  with the harness in place. I also tried shutting off > and then restarting the  engine with the engine running to test the o2 > sensor per Dennis' suggestion.  This did correct the problem for a few seconds. I > then disconnected the o2  sensor and still had the problem so I think this > rules out the sensor. I had  previously found the correct voltage coming off > of the sensor (.1-.7 volts). The  temp II sensor has been replaced and I > have checked the wires to the sensor. I  am going to check the throttle switch > to see if any problems are evident here  tomorrow. I also am going to use > probe pins to try and check for voltages at the  computer from the temp I, > temp II and AFM. Any other suggestions from the list  to check on this > problem? The problem was an intermittent rich running problem  and now seems to be > almost constant. Thanks gurus. > > David Clarkson > 90 Westy > **************Mortgage rates dropped. Record lows. $200,000 for $1,029/mo > Fixed. LendingTreeŽ > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222627882x1201465404/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.lendingtree.com%2Fborrower%2Falliance%2Ffrom.a > sp%3Fwhereto%3Dpromopagev3%26promo%3D00279%26loan%5Ftype%3D2%26source%3D2889 > 570%26esourceid%3D2889570%26800num%3D1%2D800%2D289%2D3915%26AdType%3D2) >