Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:21:11 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Followup to refurbing sunvisors--the final chapter
Comments: To: diesel-vanagon <Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com>

Up until two months ago or so, the sunvisors in my 83 westy looked and acted like bags of fine sawdust. They sagged and billowed, filled with crumbling foam.

I got some spares from my brother so I could experiment in case I screwed one up.

I did the passenger side by cutting it open with a razor and dumping out the foam, and replacing it with carefully cut shapes of very thick cardboard between the steel reinforcing wires inside, then padding over that with thin craft store foam. Then I glued up the cut seam with upholstery cement. The result was very good, but it was a lot of work and I tried an idea my brother had and it turns out that others have thought about too.

That was to cut a hole in the visor and fill it with great stuff. I did this to the drivers side, which is a little easier because it doesn't have a glass mirror to deal with. I worked out a way to protect the outside of the visor with tape and cut three small holes to stick the nozzle through. I put in what I thought was the right amount of foam and sandwiched it between two boards with weights on top. It only took a few minutes. The results the next morning looked pretty good, but I noticed that I had not gotten enough foam in one part and it looked kind of sunken in. So I hit it again and did the press thing overnight.

Next morning I had to go out of town in it an needed the visor so I cleaned off the excess foam and mounted the visor. It looked great. Nice and flat and uniform. Until the next morning, or maybe it was the morning after. When I looked out in the driveway, I saw that the visor had swollen to the size of a possum.

I was going out of town for five days at the time (in another car), so the night before I went, I put the visor between two boards and cranked the woodworking vise down on the setup. When I returned home, I took it out and it was OK, but my other visor, done the hard way, looks a little bit better.

But all in all, they are both much better than what I had.

Jim