Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:09:20 -0700
From:         Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Insurance Resource: WAS: Fri insurance talk
Comments: To: Randy Wiederhold <randywiederhold@yahoo.com>

Hi Rob and Randy- First off, sorry to hear about your losses! All KINDS of history on this topic in the archives though.

HOWEVER....

Of course the adjuster's opinion is that it's a total! It's easier and cheaper for your insurance company that way. MUCH cheaper!

*DO NOT TAKE HIS FIRST OFFER ! ! ! !*

Do your homework and fight it. It won't take long. Recent personal experience is proof positive the the payoff is MORE than worth your time!

In my case, the adjuster was ready to cut me a check for the "estimated market value" of Blackbeard (which was less than the cost of repairs) until I did my homework, after which time the adjust appeared at my mechanic's shop and cut a check for repairs, on the spot, no questions asked.

Also, "Acts Of God" and applicable coverages vary from state to state, insurer to insurer, and hinge on a number of factors (including where you live and what kinds of risks and hazard are a part of life for you as a result). For example, coverages exist for flooding, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc - because they make sense in some areas of the country EVEN THOUGH they would be considered "Acts of God". It also varies from auto to homeowners . . . Bottom line is that you just need to talk to your insurance agent in order to find out exactly what options are available to you as there really is no specific rule, or blanket on the subject.

All this being said . . .

As a result of a number of events over the course of the past year - the most recent of which was being laid-off of my most recent job in Advertising, I've decided to go into the insurance business and become an independent agent for Farmers insurance.

My experience with Farmers and the debacle that was my accident last October also played a big role in my decision.

I'm currently in the final pre-licensing phase and expect to be a full-fledged agent here in the next week or two.

Given my new-found calling and career choice, and considering my love for the Vanagon, I'd love to help any of my fellow Vanagonauts in any way that I can regarding insurance matters and advice on courses of action, options, and considerations.

I'm learning a LOT right now and am in NO way what I'd consider an expert on the matter - but I will be VERY soon.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and let y'all know when I actually have my licenses in-hand.

FWIW . . .

Drew, Las Vegas '90 GL "Blackbeard"