Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:28:16 -0700
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Noise
Comments: To: Stephen Cebula <sfcebula@yahoo.com>

Hey Steve.I'm very very glad to hear you have the bus on the road and running! I'm sure there's a huge smile on your face when you drive it, I know the feeling. As far as the whining goes, it likely is the transmission. : ( Its possible that its a wheel bearing, but somewhat unlikely in my mind. If you do end up needing transmission work, the best thing I can suggest is don't even shop..... just send it to Daryl at AA Transaxle (He did respond to this post as well). He is widely proclaimed as the best in the industry, and he's also a great guy. He offers good warranties as well I believe. However, I'm sure you're not looking to spend another Grand on this bus at this time. If that's the case, a used transmission can usually be found for $500 or less.

Before you do anything, replace the transmission fluid! Don't even drive it again untill you do this! This is something that should be done every year.... Ya, that often! Its very possible that this will fix it completely. If not, you're out a few dollars in transmission fluid and bits. I'm assuming you'll need to get a 17mm allen wrench, as its not something most people have. Same with a funnel with an extremely long (3foot or so) straw on the end to reach the transmission from outside the body. But again.... If you're out $30 and it doesnt work, at least you tried! You can also drive it untill it completely dies, unless you are planning to have that particular transmission rebuilt. If the Ring and Pinion goes, it's no longer a core. Weight your options though, if Daryl has a $200 core charge or something inexpensive like that..... if it were me, i'd just run it till it dies and then pay the core charge.

If you're like me however, you're reluctant to throw large dollars at a bus all at once. But, once you get a few good trips out of it, you say "oh ya, DEFINATELY justifyable". I might be able to help with a used transmission, but i'm not positive. I know we have a few, but who knows who owns what or what state any of them are in.

-Craig Cowan