Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:20:35 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grommet for fuel hole in fire wall
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

well guys/girls.......... when it comes to mounting things............ there are sort of two main philosophies ......... mount it and dampen it properly so it can't go anywhere or hurt itself. This is the 'use power' method used to accomplish something ..... use strong parts, solid grommets etc.......'forcing' something to behave.

the other philosophy, which works absolutely perfectly with anything that's floppy ..........like fuel hose.........is try not to mount it 'too well' ..........mount it little loose, so no forces can generate on it. - - , like the ocean-crossing reed raft the Kon Tiki .........there is nothing solid for any larger forces to act on, so it can't break apart, it just flexes endlessly and harmlessly. Very often low tech and casual effort can trump high tech 'solid' things.

so what I do when I remove that firewall fitting ...........is just join the engine side hose to the small plastic stock fuel line that's right above the starter ( 2WD ,not Syncro, of course ). Just run the fuel line under the edge of the firewall there..........so you can see it easily .......and there's nothing it can rub on . It naturally rides about and inch and half below the edge of the firewall there. There's a small plastic clip way up in there that holds the small black plastic fuel line. I undo that .......so there's more room for hose routing. I mean, why would you even want to run it through a firewall grommet so things can rub there ? The *only* reason I can think of, is it'll give you something to work on again someday when it wears some .........it'll take a long, long time yes, but engine movement will rub the fuel hose in the firewall grommet. .......... ............why even have a grommet at that particular spot then !! ?

it's sort of like this .......if any one knows much about sailing, some people like to mount steps right onto the mast, permanently, so it's easy to climb up there . And what happens in practice mostly is...........you climb up those steps to untangle the sail from the steps, steps that wouldn't cause a problem if they weren't there. I think the values I hold the highest are reliability, dependability, and durability - always lookin' to enhance that on these wonderful vans. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Stewart" <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:49 PM Subject: Re: Grommet for fuel hole in fire wall