Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:24:37 EDT
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Rich running condition-RESOLVED!(long)

The rich running condition that I have been struggling with has been fixed. The problem ended up being a short in the wire to the grounding sheath on the wire from the O2 sensor to the computer. I should have honed in on this sooner as the problem occurred when the ECU went from closed loop to open loop (is that correct or do I have that reversed?) after about 45 seconds from starting/restarting. I did spend some time getting really grounded (bad, very bad pun) with my vehicle by cleaning up all of the grounding points as well as replacing at least 3 spade connectors in the engine compartment. This should be on every vanagon owners annual checklist, Check the conditions of all wires, ground points and wire connectors everywhere that you can access especially in the engine compartment. So many problems can be corrected and prevented by doing this on these vehicles. VW knew this when they put out a bulletin advising gold connections in many areas of the vehicle (found this on Alldata). Thanks to everyone on the list that responded and corresponded with me on this issue especially Dennis, Mark (advised checking the O2 sensor wire) and Ken. I spent a good bit of quality time on this problem but just not in the correct order. Sometimes you remove the engine hatch and get distracted on something else that you see or work off of various hunches and can't see the forest for the trees. In the future if see a wire that is bent at an odd angle like this one was I will assume that wire may be bad and replace it with a new connector. I kept getting distracted with what appeared to be a light blue corrosion on the connector for the Temp II sensor. I thought that this might be changing the resistance and eventually the mixture like a bad sensor will. All my connections that go to the ECU and their corresponding ground wires/points are shiny clean and the van has never run smoother. What I thought were just RPM variations from wear in the distributor or problems with an old Hall unit were probably constant input changes to the ECU and the corresponding blips in the idle level as readings kept changing. Sorry for all the details here but maybe it will help someone else that has a similar problem. Thanks again to the list for all of the very likely, plausible explanations for this problem.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (265k-smooth sailing again)

**************Stay connected and tighten your budget with a great mobile device for under $50. Take a Peek! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100122638x1221845911x1201401556/aol?redir=http://www.getpeek.com/aol)