Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:52:21 -0400
From:         David O'Bryan <dnd.obryan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Burning Van!

I installed one of these as a battery disconnect.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=740&catid=14

I bought longer battery cables and ran the ground connection from the battery through it. I mounted the switch on the side panel next to the passenger seat belt mount with the switch handle inside and the body with contacts on the outside under the vehicle. I will install a second one when I install the auxiliary battery.

I intend to post pics on Samba when I get the time.

I get a lot of piece of mind knowing I can shut down the electrical system in an instant if I need to. (It's also nice to use when I'm working on something on the electrical system). I've had one catastrophic engine fire (yes, I had new fuel lines) and the sight of sparking wires reigniting the fire as I tried to put it out is not one I care to repeat.

YMMV.

Regards,

Dave O '87 Westy w/ 2002 Subaru EJ25

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:13:02 -0700 From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Subject: Re: Another Burning Van!

re I imagine a marine type switch would suffice? Likely 2 if one using an aux. battery?

To simplify things, could one install it at ground strap(s) to battery(s)?

Some boats have fancy battery switches that have one big knob, and positions for Batt A, Batt B, Both, and both disconnnected. You could put one of those in a vanagon I suppoose. Far simplier is just one battery cut off switch for each battery........ and you only have to be careful about one thing ......make sure at least one of the batteries is connected at all times, or all times the engine is running . ( running an alternator without a battery connected to it can harm the alternator ...so always make sure an alternator has a battery to charge if its running )

I have put battery cutoff swithes in either the positive cables, or the ground ones .....both ways seem to work just fine. I also like the ability to use the aux battery for starting, in case the starting battery is drained or whatever...... with a two battery switch system, that's hyper easy to do. Most common battery isolator or separator switches won't allow that easily ...... unless you use jumper cables to jump start yourself from your aux. battery. scott

When I think back to my first days with my '81 air cooled engine, I shudder to think I drove it any distance at all with the fuel lines that were in place. Had it checked out by a reputable shop before purchase, but no mention of fuel line quality. Though in hindisight the lines weren't cracking, they did have what appeared to be the original crimped type connectors on hoses to FI's. I can only assume they were original. Thanks to this list, I did the job.

Fast forward to what I've learned since then, if I ever get another Vanagon, unless I am *certain* job was done recently by a quality shop, first job, replace FI hoses.

As for the owner doing the work, and increasing odds of a leak, I totally see what you mean. To this day, not entirely sure as to the "why", but on one union, a new hose leaked at steel line between injector and hose. Real tiny leak. Like a tiny stain. Noticed it while static timing engine at a CG.

As for cut off switch at battery, that sounds like a really useful safety upgrade. Especially if one just bought a Vanagon. (I see email threads from time to time of people complaining about PO's wiring work)

I imagine a marine type switch would suffice? Likely 2 if one using an aux. battery?

To simplify things, could one install it at ground strap(s) to battery(s)?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s