Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:28:12 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon stainless steel screws for the exterior

HI, I just want top say a few things about my screws. First, I apologize for this funny Fickr subject line, but I don't know what to do about it. Doesn't really matter much, as most of you know that I sell stainless steel screws, and have seen this same squiggley subject line from me before.

These sheet metal screws that I sell are all metric(except for the 36 piece set, because all those screws screw into plastic and this is not an issue), and I can say that metric sheet metal screws are unavailable in the USA unless you want a hundred or more of each size, and have a tax ID number. Big deal--you can put in American sized screws, but I cant sell American sized screws. Metric sheet metal screws are 2-3 times the price of the comparable US sized screws.

In several cases the sizing makes a difference. In other cases it does not, but in all these cases it is the owners decision as to which sizing they want in their Vanagon. I don't know what people are putting into their $70,000 Vanagons, but I do know that what came out is rusted junk; and for the number of fine Vanagons that I see, I would be rich if they were using my screws. Really, I see all those nice pictures on TheSamba, and Flickr, etc, and have to wonder, as nobody sells stainless steel screws for the Vanagon that are correct fits.

The first screw I talk about here here is the lower grill screw. The comparable American sized #14 is different enough to not give a tight grill. I know, I tried. These screws do not actually screw into the plastic, but only spread the plastic prongs that grip the sheet metal from behind. I wish I could provide the American #14 as it would be 2-3 times cheaper, and does not screw into metal, but I cannot. I have sold over 500 sets and have had zero complaints with all my screw sets. If I sold US sized screws I would probably have 500 complaints, even though we don't really care(most times).

This stainless steel, metric screw for the lower grill is painted semi-gloss black. I import it to America from Switzerland, and then I put it into a vibratory tumbler to roughen-up the screw finish so that paint will better adhere to it. After tumbling these screws I send them across the country to San Diego to have them painted at Screw Scoop. An automotive exterior paint is sprayed, then they get sent back to me, and I put them into my 50 piece supplemental screw set. This is not cheap, but it is the correct way to do it, and they now exist, where before not even GoWesty provided them.

The Chrome Bumper and End Cap set has M8 carriage bolts. Carriage bolts are available, but are very difficult to find in stainless steel, in America. These are again, roughened-up in my tumbler and hand-painted with POR 15 Gloss Black. I use two coats of POR 15 black and then two coats of POR 15 Chassis Black to match the end cap. This is a tough, thick coating, as it is exposed directly to the headwinds and precipitation of your adventures.

Those rust stains around the impact strips are probably from the plain steel bolts that attach the bumpers to the vehicle.I replace these with stainless. I also include self drilling sheet metal screws for the sides of the end caps, as did VW, when new.

The utility box set includes 12 metric sheet metal WOOD screws.Yes, wood screw countersinks are molded into the plastic boxes. Not countersinks for #6 oval head, sheet metal screw. This, even though they do get screwed to the metal body. Mine are a great fit, and this location needs a great fit for appearance and the peace of mind of many. I import them from Switzerland.

What quality of stainless steel do I sell? I sell all qualities. Stainless steel is difficult to source in stainless in many cases, so you have to take what you can get. I have 316 flat washers, 18-8, and A-2 stainless.It does not matter, the quality of stainless metal in these screws. They all look the same, and that is what they are all there for--for looks.

The flagship of my collection is the oversized, pop top bolt. Go Westy does sell one, but they need to be used with over sized fender washers.Nobody else sells them and this is why I had mine special made-up, Did GW tell you that when you bought them you would need the large washers? You were probably expecting bolts as the OEM bolts are. GW sells of the shelf, M6 truss head bolts that are way too small for the job. My kit is EXPENSIVE,at $70, but it includes 20 of these oversized bolts and 6 carriage bolts.

I don't eat lunch with the money I make from selling these. I mostly enjoy dealing with the Vanagon Community and this is the reason I sell these fasteners. All my fasteners come labeled as to where they go, and are correct fits, and the cost consideration was a distant second for me. My customers agree.

Thanks for reading.