Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:35:29 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tie Rod end removal/Control arm bushings
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I have a giant pickle fork that fits Chevy Truck, Fiat and now Vanagon ball joints - its usually just 2 whacks with a 2 1/2 lb ball pein hammer... =)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> Hi, > upper control arm bushings ? > just grind off the spot welds, and press them out on a press. Easy to do. > > I use the hammer method on upper ball joints. It's a larger tapered part , > than the tie rod is, so you'd need a pretty wide/large pickle fork for the > upper ball joints , if you wanted to pickle fork them. Hammer method for > me > on those. Sometimes I have to back up what I'm whacking on with a sledge > hammer held behind it . > > 'careful' brute force, let's say. > Scott > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Troy" <colorworks@gci.net> > To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> > Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 11:16 PM > Subject: Re: Tie Rod end removal/Control arm bushings > > > I'm replacing both, and own a pickle fork (don't you love these names?) so >> think I'll go that route. Works on upper ball joints too I suppose? I love >> the wisdom of an experienced mechanic-- be on the damn thing until it >> gives! Any wisdom on control arm bushings? One person simply said to >> hacksaw the thing into two, and then use a cold chisel to punch it out, >> apparently works great. Brute force wins again! >> >> Troy >> >> >> hi. >>> I specialize in removing tie rod ends ...... >>> that tapered thing. >>> 'the way' is to give the end of the steering arm that it sits in ( after >>> the nut is loosened but not removed ) .... >>> wahck the hell out of that mother , with a good medium size ball been >>> hammer ...... >>> sharp whacks, not dull thuds . On the 5th to 20th sharp hard whack, the >>> tie rod will jump out of the steering arm. >>> Loosen the nut pretty well, but leave it on to protect the threads while >>> you hammer nearby. >>> check it once in a while to see if it hasn't jumped out. >>> >>> other methods - >>> if you know you're just going to toss the tie rod end ...........pickle >>> fork. Wedged fork thing - it destroys the boot though. >>> Pullers - sure .....but pulling on a taperd thing ..........or pushing .I >>> mean ...... >>> just isn't the same as the hammer method. The few times I've tired it >>> .....well, ..the hammer method is fast and easy. >>> Huge affect - shocking that hole dimension in the steerying arm. Makes >>> it just jump right out. >>> >>> Related - - same for screws and bolts ......a sharp whack on the end >>> of those ( like CV joint screws ) ( with a hammer and drift ) >>> ........makes them a lot easier to unscrew. Major affect. I've had CV >>> screws that felt like they'd strip for sure after pulling hard on them, >>> after the first go around of whacking. So whack on that screw some more. >>> Try it again, Stil no, whack on it five more sharp hard times......and >>> eventually, it'll unscrew. >>> And so will a tie rod end pop out. If it's an extreme case, and the nut >>> is downward, so the tie rod end goes out upward, I might jack on it with >>> a bottle jack ....but still ......sharp hard whacks with a nice medium >>> hammer. >>> >>> I shortened the handle of my favorite ball been hammer just a litle to >>> get better control of it.......of a medium ball been hammer ........about >>> 30 years ago. I carved grip notches in it by holding it up to a grinder >>> ....in a grippy spiral pattern. Your own custom tools are really nice >>> aren't they ! ? >>> That hammer has undone one helleva lot of tie rod ends. ! :) >>> >>> >>

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie"

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27