Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:51:46 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Diesel oil pressure switch and thermal sensors
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com>

After doing a few quick checks into several personal databases and a call to a contact at VOA, here's your answer regarding the switch:

028 919 081 D (Is now 028 919 081 H) ETKA is wrong and the spec listing(s) have not been corrected.

My contact at VOA pulled up the specs and even had one at his disposal to look at. Stamped on the flat side of the switch is 0.15-0.35 Bar. And the switch could now be either Blue or Black Plastic, adding even more to the confusion. He confirmed that the ETKA Listing is in error and would eventually be corrected.

Originally, the switch was 0.3 bar under Part Number 056 919 081 C. In fact most aftermarket places (including Airhead Parts) still sells this under the 056 number with the 0.15-0.35 specs stamped on the flat metal portion of the switch, most have never bothered to update the number in their product listings.

The biggest difference between the 021 919 081 B (All Air Cooled apps) and the 028/056 919 081 series is that the thread (10x1) on the 021 switch is sligtly tapered for sealing in an aluminum or magnesium alloy crankcase. The thread on the 028/056 switch is slightly longer and straight with a sealing washer for a cast-iron cylinder head.

Regarding the 049 919 501 temp switch, the correct one has the "disc" for a female push-on terminal. See switch #8 in Illustration 136-05 - this is drawn correctly and is 10x1 Thread. While switch #7 is also the 049 919 501, the image is drawn incorrectly, but is still 10x1 Thread.

My VOA contact has said that a lot of areas of ETKA is woefully inaccurate and has been since they converted from the old style fiche which is much more accurate (and why I still keep them for the best reference material). One reason why there is almost a thousand revision updates in the current Version 7 of ETKA and they still haven't got it all right *yet* -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com "I've never been lost, but I've been a might bewildered" - Daniel Boone *********************************** On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com> wrote: