Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:11:16 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What to do with my LP Tank
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>

If no leaks, use up LP. Remove tank. For me, tank removal was a bit of an unknown as I thought there might be a little fuel remaining that would leak out when undoing nuts at lines. (even though archives indicate that one can remove tank when LP used up) I was cautious to wear a thick glove and open one of the nuts on LP line and see if any LP leaked out. None came out. I imagine opening the bleed valve a little might be a more sensible way to check.

WEAR thick GLOVES. LP gas freeze burn is real. There may even be proper gloves just for this job. (as an LP jockey)

Run fridge while Westy is idle. Takes a while. Or just camp/use it. You might lose some food but, oh well! (I did)

Just removed my tank.

http://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/PropaneLPTank#

Slide show has best size/resolution

Quite interesting to see things up close. Of note, one nut (so far) is a LH thread. There are marks on nut to indicate this. I found this LH thread nut at regulator where it connects to main valve. (this is a NON auto fill setup)

If your tank has the fetid "4 corner" ID tag (is tack welded at corners only) be aware that the tank may be rusting underneath.

Neil.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Stephen Grisanti<bike2vcu@yahoo.com> wrote: > "What shouldI do about it? Thanks, guys." > > A smart*ss response would be, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em," but I won't say that. > > Similar situation here.  We bought our Westy with a full propane tank and it is still going three years later.  I'd like to remove the tank for inspection, cleaning and painting but need to wait until it reaches empty to proceed. > > Stephen > > > --- On Wed, 6/10/09, David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > > From: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM> > Subject: What to do with my LP Tank > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 1:55 PM > > > While we are on this subject I have a question regarding my > LP tank on my 83.5 Westy. > > I believe my LP tank was filled with LP only once despite it is > 26 years old. The PO filled it within the first 3 months after > he bought the Westy new. The LP has never been used up. I have > taken over the Westy for more than a decade and I used it only > a few times. There is still some unknown amount of it remaining > in the tank. > > > > >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines