Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:59:49 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 6 guys and vanagon x-country
Comments: To: kayakjr@comcast.net

Well John you can't say that you didn't do your part. It's really on them that they didn't head your advice.

I wish them the best - they aren't traveling in my area, I'd offer help if needed if they were, but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who will lend a hand.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM, John Reynolds <kayakjr@comcast.net> wrote:

> A friend's nephew (recent high-school grad) and 5 (count'em 5) of his > buddies bought an 81 Westfalia off Craig's list for $800 and are taking it > across country. > > The van is one with the sink/ice box (no stove - P27?) so it has seating > for 5. I gave him a jump seat, along with belts so all 6 would have a safe > place to sit. The ice box was, unfortunately replaced with a dometic fridge > - it had somewhat newer lines going to where a propane tank was at one time. > They removed the fridge, as I suggested, it to get more storage. > > > Before they left, I asked that I see the van, mainly to see that it had > proper tires and to check the fuel lines. It had LT tires on it. I > stressed that the fuel lines and firewall fitting should be replaced. > (showed him my van with proper clamps) Ditto for fuel filter. > > > I showed him the extending oil, filter, where the brake fluid was, > windshield washer fluid, informed them of tire pressure. The van reportedly > has a newly rebuilt trans and that the former owner was asking to get his > money ($800) back on the new trans in the sale. The trans was very clean. > Brake lines were done recently. The crimps on the electrical lines at the > fuel pump (hanging, no metal mount) were not comforting. > > > Unfortunately, I should gave looked at the age of the tires, as they had a > blow out this morning. I talked his father through the BusDepot site for > info on tires and suggested that he call BusDepot. His father suggested > that they buy new tires before the trip after hearing my talk on tires. > Unfortunately they did not replace any fuel lines, even though dad offered > to pay for the kit. (I sent them plenty of info, Ben's site, AIRS, etc) > > > Anyways, I don't know exactly where they are right now, but they are > heading from Mass thru knoxville TN to New Orleans, then to San Diego and > then to Denver and then hi-tail it home to Cape Cod. Well that's what they > planned! I just learned that they have 2 weeks - LOL! I would have pointed > the van to Yellowstone, hit the Tetons and Badlands and called it a good > trip. > > > They reported only getting 10-11 mpg at 65 mph. At 55 it increased to > 13-14. I pushed for them to get the van checked out a good shop (Stan's in > Natick) and get the valves adjusted. I'm sure this would have payed for > itself in fuel savings. Maybe along the way we can get them to hook up with > a good shop - but with only 2 weeks.. > > > Anyways, I may asking this list soon for help for these 6 souls. They > wanted an adventure and it has already started! > > > More later... > > > John > LiMBO >

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus