Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:01:59 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: LP Regulator Life Expectancy?-be careful!
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Thanks Mark. Oddly enough I almost took a pic of the on/off valve (would post it to clarify for newbs that in fact the valve is turned CCW to open it)

So the blue thing in pic is the relief valve?

http://tinyurl.com/nfbv7r

Anyone know what the red dot on top of tank is for?

(if it's a level indicator, well, that would just be whacky! ;)

Neil.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM, mark drillock<mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Those much newer tanks have a separate pressure relief valve in a bung > welded to the tank while the old tanks have the relief valve as part of the > on/off valve. Look at your old on/off valve and you will see it is kind of T > shaped, with the end of the T opposite the regulator fitting being the > relief. > > The old AutoStop fill valve was actually the brand name of the product used > in the tanks made by others such as Manchester. Earliest tanks had a > completely manual valve, then the AutoStop one was used for several years. > At some point the filler valve went manual again and the latest have a > different overfill prevention type filler valve that I believe uses a float > inside the tank to shut off the filling when the liquid propane level inside > rises high enough. > > > Mark > > > > neil N wrote: >> >> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Old Volks Home<oldvolkshome@gmail.com> >> wrote: >>> >>> Replacement tanks no longer come with "Auto-Fill" Valves from BD or GW. >>> They come with the Manual type now I believe. >>> -- >>> Jim Thompson >>> 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" >>> 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" >>> >> >> Hi Jim. Thanks. >> >> In reading + phone calls today, I realize I've misunderstood things. >> >> For anyone other confused souls reading GoWestys library article helped: >> >> http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=312 >> >> I had equated the old potentially problematic Auto Stop Fill *valve* >> with the now the more modern "auto-stop" filling port design. >> >> But... In looking at pic here: >> >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2447 >> >> I see the main valve, bleeder, fill valve, but what is the blue thing? >> >> >> >> Neil. >> >> >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines