Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:02:59 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: was: RE: 6 guys and vanagon x-country-UPDATE now:the great
              Megasquirt debate
Comments: To: pdooley <psdooley@verizon.net>

Hi I came in on this thread late but I fairly recently went through the whole process of intsalling, tuning and learning a totally new untried application for a stand-alone engine mangament system. The mechanical part of the process was fairly simple, except for a few incompatible bits that had to be removed and replaced, connectors to find, etc. In order to really make meaningful progress tuning the system, once it's up and running, Dyno time is the way. You can use your own Data Logging and eventually get it good without, but we took my vehicle from 240rwhp to 565 rwhp, on a Mustang chassis dyno in about 45mins..That would have taken us all day using a track or a deserted road. It is not a simple process, but if you have someone who's familiar with the stand-alone tuning process and the particular ECU you've decided on, it is pretty straight forward. But expect glitches and frustration. Mine had problems between my laptop and the ECU. Also, a lot of the features you'll want for tweeking the system, data logging features, they were extra $. Every big city has plenty of shops where the "Ricer-boys" do their thing, tuning Imports. Find that shop and hit their dyno...they know all the trick and can wring HP from a VW engine with ease. It's been done over and over. Subaru motors, too. These guys laugh at the stock systems and how unproductive they are compared to what they get from a "tuner-engine" they've modified. 500hp 2 liter Jettas are common... Below are the two systems I used on my one-off fuel injection set up. Motec is very well respected as The stand -alone EMS for performance and reliability. Most of the factory racecars use motec. TWM induction is a good source for stuff you might use in a Subie conversion or maybe a better VW intake. Don Hanson

http://www.twminduction.com/Home/Home-FR.html