Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:04:05 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Coolant Distributor Replacement - and a parts review

Mine cracked!!

Coolant was leaking onto the ground and a crack in that part is nothing to be taken lightly. Should it let go, all your coolant will be out of you cooling system and on the ground in just a couple of minutes. What to do? What to do?

Well, for the '86 and later GLs (can't address the syncros) the part is made of plastic. As the part ages, the plastic gets brittle, vibrations over the years, and other things leads eventually to parts failure in the form of a crack. Nothing to do but replace it.

Dilemma! It would seem that in VW's wisdom three different configurations of this part were used, using three different part numbers. Therefore to be sure about the particular part in your van, you have to pull the part out and look at the part number so you get the correct part when you order - OR - you can do like I did - and order the stainless steel universal coolant distributor kit from Van-cafe. (no, I have no vested interest in Van-cafe - they just happen to have a good solution for this). This metal kit eliminated any concern about part numbers and getting the part with the correct configuration. One size fits all - 86 through 91 standard two-wheel drive van.

Delivery service was superb. I ordered on Monday morning, requested USPS Priority Mail rather than UPS, and the kit arrived Wednesday morning about 10 am. That was from California to Alabama. I rushed on down to the shop where there is a mechanic who knows my van, for him to do the R&R.(I'm not up to scrambling under my van any more - the Red Brick was going on the rack for this job.)

The engine hatch was removed, and work began. There are two sheet metal screws that hold the plastic distributor in place. The top one was accessed through the top of the engine bay. The bottom one from underneath. For ease of access the right hand rock shield was removed. Removal went off without a hitch.

The box was opened with the new part. There was the welded stainless steel distributor, one brass plug, and one brass reducer, and one piece of common water hose and one formed hose. That made up the kit. The metal work and welding was very well done.

On the plastic distributor there are two little pieces of plastic that act as both "stand-offs" - hold the part a certain distance off a surface, and they also receive the sheet metal screws. On the new stainless piece, these two "stand-off's" are made from a special long - about one inch - machine thread stainless steel nut that is welded in place. Very nicely done.

Now an odd thing happened. I stepped out for just a few minutes to get a soft drink, and when I returned, there lay the on the mechanics bench one of the stainless nuts - separated from the distributor. No machine screws were supplied with the new unit, so my mechanic got screws and ran them down into the nuts - and one decided it was not going to come back out. While attempting to get the screw back out - the effort sheared the head off the screw. Now it was drill and EZE-out time. All went well....... until the EZE-out snapped off in the drilled hole, leaving a piece of hardened steel in the hole. Nothing was going to drill that out. The mechanic worked at it and worked at it - then........$*&##@*%$$&!!! I heard the mechanic say! The welded nut broke from the stainless distributor. So there we were - my new part not usable and the mechanic with egg on his face. Now I'm a trained aircraft mechanic, and such things are really frustrating to a professional who puts a lot of effort into getting things right the first time, but it really was funny to see the expression on his face. But what could I say. Sh*t happens. BTDT in my career as a mechanic. So, the van was down while the man took the part to a machine shop to try and get it fixed. They didn't have a stainless nut of the right size and shape, and rather than get into a big hassle I asked Chris at Van-cafe to send me a nut. In the meantime, the part was installed as best could be, and secured with tie-wraps to hold it for a few days until I can get it back into the shop for proper repair of the part and re-installation.

I chatted with Chris via e-mail about this and he went back and checked all the units in stock and found only one with a very tight fit on the screw, one that could possibly cause a problem with jamming a screw. That problem has been eliminated. I also mentioned that if the correct screws were provided with the kit, that would help further eliminate any effects of Murphy's Law from coming to bear and make for a more perfect kit. Hopefully he will attend to that.

What a hassle. No reflection on Chris or Van-Cafe. though. The part that was sent was of very good quality, and only because of a snafu in the shop did things get screwed up. I recommend the part to anyone who needs to replace the distributor. I'm a big fan of metal.I have two other vans and will use this kit in both of them.

And by the way - the chocolate chip cookies that came packed in the order were excellent with my morning coffee.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver