Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:01:39 -0500
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: What Octane gas does a 2.1L waterboxer need?

> What Octane gas does a 2.1L waterboxer need? > I've been using 87 and my mechanic was questioning this.

it takes 91 octane (ron) ... but only in Europe!!!

the problem comes about in the way that the U.S. "measures" octane ... they don't use the same method as the germans/europeans ... over here, that same octane is numbered at 87 ... due to the difference in formula/calculation.

now, the mechanic is gonna get all fluffed up and self-righteous and tell you that you should be running 91 octane in the u.s. ... ain't so. it runs fine on any octane (except 85, out in montana/wyoming). it does, however, seem to notice the 10 percent ethanol stuff. :( so if you're concerned, you might want to spend the extra cents to get 89 octane hereabouts.

here's what the 1988 vanagon owner's manual, straight from VW, says: p. 74 <begin quote>

Vehicle Operation Fuel Supply

Your vehicle is equipped with a catalytic converter and requires unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91 RON which corresponds to an antiknock index (AKI) of 87.

Your vehicle has a smaller fuel tank opening, and gas station pumps have smaller nozzles. This will prevent accidental pumping of leaded fuel. .....

Octane Rating

Octane rating indicates a gasoline's ability to resist detonation. Therefore, buying the correct octane gas is important to prevent engine "knock", which reduces performance and may cause engine damage.

Under high load operating conditions, unleaded premium gasoline MAY BE USED. <emphasis mine>

The 91 RON octane rating which you will find above the filler neck is based on the research method. The AKI octane rating usually displayed on U.S. gasoline pumps is calculated as follows: Research octane number plus motor octane number, divided by 2. < (RON+MON)/2 >

Regular fuels have an octane rating ranging from 91 to 95 RON (Research Octane Number) or 878 to 91 AKI.

Do not use any fuel with octane ratings lower than 91 RON or 87 AKI.

<and two more special interest paragraphs>

Gasolines containing alcohol

Gasoline containing alcohol is available at gas stations in some areas. <this is a 1988 vanagon manual> The gas pump may not be labeled to identify that alcohol is present in the gasoline. If it is labeled, it may not identify what amount and type(s) of alcohol are used. We recommend you use quality gasoline that is NOT <emphasis theirs> blended with alcohol. <as if we have a choice these days> The use of fuel containing alcohol can cause loss of fuel economy and driveability and performance problems. If these problems are experienced, we recommend you switch to another brand of gasoline.

If wrong fuel was put into your tank

Premium gasoline instead of regular

Your engine runs equally well on premium gasoline, however neither fuel consumption nor engine performance are likely to be affected.

<end quote>

hope it helps. good luck! unca joel