Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:19:35 -0400
From:         Ted Titcomb <ted@TITCOMB.COM>
Subject:      six guys update

Well, Payson began to feel uneasy about the work, slow pace, and direction that the diagnostic work being done at the Sinclair station in las vegas yesterday, and decided to have the van towed to Meyers lot (recommended by members, and apparently a vanagon enthusiast). The conclusion that the mechanic at Sinclair came to was that it was the air flow sensor, although this part had been replaced recently by the previous owner, basically a new part. I got some good advise from vanagon members, and the internet, and all things point to the temperature sensor. They were driving from San Diego to Vegas yesterday in 95 degree temperatures, in a fully loaded air cooled van. Payson had reported that during the trip the oil pressure was hanging around 13 -15 psi. they had just changed the oil in san diego , 20-50w . although he felt like it was low due to being about ½ qt.down on the dipstick (didn’t have quite enough for the oil change, and had trouble finding the same grade on the road) he ended up topping it off with 10-40w, but of course this didn’t change the low pressure much. At this point, I think the engine was just running very hot, as you would expect. When they got to Vegas and let the car sit for 4 hours (just the right amount of time to cool back down to ambient) the problem showed up. The Sinclair mechanic confirmed that the misfiring was due to it running too rich. I think the high heat fried the old temp. sensor and when it cooled off, it failed. The symptoms occurred suddenly and consistently. A website suggested disconnecting the temperature sensor and connecting a test light between the harness connector and ground (using it as a sort of resistor) to get the engine to run until the part can be had. If this works, the guys could get back on the road today and feel good about making their deadline of being back to Boston by Friday. If they need to wait until tomorrow when Meyers opens, even though this would be the most reliable solution, some of them think they should dispose of the van and fly home. Personally, I hope they manage to get the thing going today by hook or by crook, and make a run for it! I’m waiting to hear.