Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:23:08 -0700
From:         Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Clunking in the Rear

Greetings- I''m a new subscriber to the listserve (2 weeks).  I purchased a 91 westy manual about a month ago and this weekend took it out for the first real test.  A 600 mile trip in southern/central Oregon to camp along the umpqua river.  All went great until the last two miles.  As we got off the freeway on the deceleration ramp  there was a loud clunking in the driver's side rear axle area.  It happens only when foot is off the gas.  Any thoughts on what this might be or how I should go about diagnosing the problem?  I changed out the shocks last week and the cv boots all looked intact and in good shape.  Any thoughts before I crawl under and poke around or I take it to a shop would be appreciated. Thanks. Rick D 91 Westy 189,000 (heads never off..so I was told)