Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:39:17 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Filter "Update" Results
Comments: To: Dave Arthur <dave.arthur@NSCC.CA>

At 09:33 AM 6/28/2009, Dave Arthur wrote: >So, is it fair to say that a noisy FP may be caused by the pump delivering >too much volume?

I'd prefer to say that it's *caused* by inlet restrictions, but could be *relieved* by slowing down the pump. Purely semantics.

>Does the list have any advice on what resistance to use or >what wattage has been used to 'slow' down the pump?

What's required first is the working draw (amperage) of the specific pump, from which you can calculate its effective resistance while running. From that point a starting figure for the resistance to drop the output by some percentage is easily calculated using methods illustrated in the electrical primer that I started a while back. This would then be adjusted by experiment. Heating elements from a toaster are a convenient source of nichrome ribbon resistance wire as well as a heat-proof matrix to support it on. The ribbon would have to be welded, brazed or mechanically swaged/clamped -- you can't solder to it. If someone wants to actually do this and has trouble with the calculations I'll be happy to help.

Another possibility would be using largish diodes (I'm guessing that the pump draws something like five amps) in series to provide about 0.6v drop per diode, if the required drop lends itself to that interval. This would have less effect on pump startup, which could conceivably be a problem using resistors. However diodes this size may not be readily available, and you can't simply parallel smaller diodes directly without adding a series resistance to each parallel diode string. Also, any diode array should probably have a single diode in reverse across the whole array, to eliminate the diodes being punched through by voltage spikes when the pump is shut off. The pump is a highly inductive load, so it will generate quite a spike when the relay opens.

Once this is done the first time, it should generalize somewhat to other pumps, though individual tweaking would still be required.

And of course the whole thing assumes that you're dealing with a pump with excess delivery, or are willing to reduce delivery below the spec and take on responsibility for any problems that arise from that.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"