Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:32:21 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator hum or whine
Comments: To: Kenneth Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET>

never hurts to listen around the engine with a 'listening tube' ....... a rubber tube about 18 niches long, about 3/8 inside diameter ...... hold one end to your ear ......move the other end around a running engine ..... when you find the source of the noise ........like get the hose about 2 inches from the noise source.....it's often quite obvious.

for listening to internal things.........I use a long hardwood stick. One end against yer ear, the other end you rest on the thing you want to listen too. Lots of bearing noises going on here and there, injectors clicking, etc. Lots of fun.

It does seem to me that often there is an assumption, or a 'jump' to a diagnosis, which sometimes results in doing what we thought was 'the indicated repair' .......only to find out it's something else. Professional shops do this about half the time - lol ! but really ..........'spending time inspecting and diagnosising carefully' ........and often it's not hard to do either. Just look, inspect, listen, etc. Half the time ........just like Ken's thing here....... it's not 'a part' like most people apparently go to immediately .......'it must be a part.' *At least* half the time .......it's not a part.........it's something that needs to be tightened, cleaned, serviced, or adjusted. A huge majority of vanagon repair and restoration I do just involves cleaning, adjusting, tweaking, some rust repair etc......rather than 'a part.'

if we broke vanagon fuel injection problems into 3 general areas.........'a part' ........the wiring harness, or just cleaning/adjusting......... half the time it's the last one, maybe 40 % of the time it is 'a part' ......or parts, and only a small percentage of the time it's the wiring harness itself ...... and even when it is.......it's usually poor connections, which falls under cleaning/adjusting/tweaking usually. a huge portion of functional issues , getting them working right again, is a matter of UNdoing the neglect the poor thing has suffered over the years since the last time something was touched. At least on most of the vanaogns I see........that's what it usually is .......just a matter of reversing the affect of neglect, which means, lube, adjust, clean, etc. etc. Besides, some new parts aren't as good as the older original style ones.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Lewis" <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:25 AM Subject: Re: Alternator hum or whine