Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:40:51 -0500
From:         Stephen Edwards <welfarewrkr@IGC.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Cash for clunkers

Don't know how long you've been around, John, but fruit and veggies have been picked by migrant labor ever since farming ceased to be a family affair and became big business. Nobody ever wants to pay migrant laborers (or any kind of laborers) what they're worth, and migrant labor is hard to organize and therefore easy to exploit.

I grew up in England where the migrants are known as gypsies, Travellers, tinkers and so on and I remember well how they were always blamed for their own poverty and lifestyle. Needless to say they didn't have a whole lot of love for the law: what after all, did it ever do for them? Not much of anything except harassment; it sure as heck didn't give them protection from child labor, or safe or sanitary working conditions.

In the USA migrant laborers have ALWAYS been immigrants (either internal or external) because they are the most desperate and so willing to take the worst-paid jobs. So historically I think you are mistaken.

Mexican immigration has been going on since the USA invaded and took over the best land in Mexico (California, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and so on) more than 150 years ago. If you want to talk about not "calling criminals, heroes", maybe you should take a look at the likes of Davy Crockett and Sam Houston.

There's always a different point of view, John, and it's not necessarily a "mantra". Sometimes the facts just need a closer look.

Sincerely

Steve Edwards, driving a German-built 91 GL with an Asian engine installed in the trunk by skilled Greek and Mexican immigrant labor in Chicago, Illinois.